Egton is situated 6 miles southwest of Whitby. Egton village and the surrounding area have many ancient connections. The village consists of a long broad street, with houses either side.
The fairs and markets of Egton, were well known throughout the centuries. In the thirteenth century, a charter was granted for a fair of 8 days, a later charter allowed 4 more which became hiring fairs. It was the only holiday farm workers had in the year. They went along to be hired and the farmers inspected them, and those chosen started work immediately after the fair ended.
The Annual Egton Show now over 100 years old, is one of the largest village shows in the country. It is held every August and is very well attended by locals and visitors alike.
There are two public houses, the Wheatsheaf and the Horseshoe at the entrance of the village, and there is a village hall. Egton has holiday cottages and bed and breakfast accommodation.
The local church is the church of St. Hilda, which was built in 1879, and it replaced an earlier 14th century structure, a short distance away. Some of the original stones were used in the construction of the present church and some are displayed in the foyer.
Follow us on facebook