The village of Danby is situated ten and a half miles west of Whitby, nestling at the head of the Esk Valley, off the A171. It is also accessible by the Whitby to Middlesbrough Esk Valley Railway line. Danby has a village store and the Duke of Wellington Public House. There is plenty of holiday accommodation in Danby. The village has a village hall, St. Hilda’s Church and the all important public conveniences!
At the heart of Danby village is the village green, where sheep often graze.
Moors near Danby
A mile to the south is Danby Rigg, which has over 800 cairns, the remains of a stone circle, defensive ditches and enclosures dating from Bronze Age times, some 3000 years ago.
The view from Danby Beacon
On the other side of the valley, a footpath leads up to the moor to the remains of coal pits, these were in operation for 140 years from 1748.
To the south-west of Danby is the 14th century fortified Danby Castle now used as a farmhouse. The castle was once owned by the family of Catherine Parr the 6th, and surviving wife of Henry VIII.
Danby Lodge Moors Centre
Half a mile east of Danby is the Danby Lodge Moors Visitors Centre, which was a former shooting lodge dating back to the 17th Century. It stands in 13 acres of grounds, on the banks of the River Esk in the North Yorkshire National park. This excellent centre with ample parking, exhibits natural and local history of the moors, a lecture theatre, exhibitions, information centre, school studies, a gift shop, a book and map shop and a tea room serving light meals and refreshments. Outside is a childrens play area, picnic area and gardens.
There are many well defined walks leading from here, marked on signs with yellow arrows. Click on the link to find out more about Danby Lodge Moors Centre Danby Lodge Moors Centre Downstream from the Moors Centre, is a narrow medieval bridge known as Duck Bridge built in the 13th century by George Duck, a wealthy mason, to enable packhorses to cross the River Esk.
Evidence of stone-age settlements in this area include a point, in a national network of points where fires were lit to warn of danger from as early as Viking times. The present Danby Beacon built in 2008, is situated near to the site of the Danby Beacon built in 1937, which housed equipment and staff to monitor aircraft movements. The Danby operatives were instrumental in the interception of the first German bomber to be shot down over England. The pilot was Flight Lieutenant Peter Townsend. The Heinkel was forced to land at Bannial Flat Farm on Guisborough Road. It was also instrumental in helping to track the flight of Rudolph Hess in May 1941. This facility was closed in 1956.
The panoramic views from Danby Beacon are breathtaking. One can see right out to the the North Sea, the moors towards Scaling Dam resevoir, and the beautiful moorland surrounding the Esk Valley.
Panoramic View from Danby Beacon
Follow us on facebook